The King’s School offer many day and boarding houses for male and female students, each with their own history and backstory. We’ve been involved with the refreshing of several of these over the last few years.
Becoming a house in 1952, Galpin’s is located in the Mint Yard quad and is one of the boys houses. This project saw the complete refurbishment of the house to provide refreshed bedrooms, headmaster’s office, matron’s office and new common rooms. The spaces are built around the unusual building, which features the Norman Aula Nova.
School House was the original boarding house, beginning as accommodation in the 1860’s. The most recent iteration of the building saw the refurbishment of the boarding accommodation plus the creation of new common and laundry facilities. The common spaces provide areas where the students can spend social time together, as well as cook snacks, play games and study.
One of the day houses, Marlowe House’s spaces were reconfigured to provide fewer dedicated study spaces and more social spaces where day students could socialise, practice and celebrate. This included the creation of a large central social space, along with new Matron and Headmaster Offices.